Can i feed earth worms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by thechickman04, Feb 27, 2008.

1. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    ok i already feed my chickens meal worms for treats but its alot easier to find and buy earth worms like night crawlers and red wigglers....i was wondering if i could give my chickens earth worms as a treat.

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    WHY NOT?! they eat them in the wild [​IMG]

3. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    good point brooster...i guess i didnt think [​IMG] haha

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    be aware they are the intermediate host for some things like gapeworms. I do not know how many chickens actually get gapeworms, I'm just sayin'. Of course free-range and tractored chickens eat gazillions of worms and mostly survive.

Pat

5. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Its fun for the whole family..... jsut throw your flock 1 worm and watch them play keep away.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I have heard that earthworms can carry blackhead.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  7. AK-Bird-brain

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    never heard that myself, but i'll start asking some other folks who are more nowledgeable of worms than I am.

8. AK-Bird-brain

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I did some more checking and worms (like common earth and compost) can carry gapeworms. they can pick them up from contaminated soils that they live in.

So IMO if your raising worms in bins (like I do) they are ok to feed your flock.
    If your picking them out of the garden they could be carriers but then again if the worm is a carrier its already in your soil so its to late to do anything but worm your flock anyhow so you might as well give them the treat.

Just my $0.02

9. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    Wow, great info here folks!

I guess you can just give the soil-borne worms to your flock, ante up the water with ACV and just keep the bedding clean. This is my first flock (4 BRs, 2 BOs, 2 RIRs, a silkie and a friz-silkie) so I am just feeding them whatever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by