Can I Feed Layer Feed Yet??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TwoCrows, Aug 21, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    My 4 Australorp girls will be 24 weeks old in a few days. They have not yet started laying but look like they will be soon. I have about 1 weeks worth of chick starter feed left and have already purchased layer feed. If I run out of feed and they are not yet laying, is it ok to start feeding the layer feed? Will the higher calcium harm them at this point? Thanks... Leyla [​IMG]

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Yes you can start layer feed at 24 week without worry....

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:X2

4. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Quote:X2--no problems [​IMG]

5. mewantseggs

mewantseggs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    What about feeding them grower? Thats what I was told to feed mine when I got them, now I read here that people are still feeding starter. Will my chickens have any problems? Mine are only 16 weeks old.

6. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Go ahead and start them anytime. I just went ahead and mixed the starter with the layer feed so I didn't have any leftovers or waste. You will be getting eggs soon! [​IMG]

7. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Is the starter medicated? If you start getting eggs while being on the medicated feed--you need to take them off that feed and wait 4 weeks to make sure it is out of their system--so you are not eating medicated eggs...

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks for all the replies!! I had figured it might be ok to start them on the layer feed, but wanted to be sure first. I am still new to chickens. No, my starter feed is not medicated, so no problems there.

Thanks again, and I am sooooo anxious for that first egg, I am about to burst!! [​IMG]

9. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    Wait, you're telling me if we're feeding medicated feed we can't eat the eggs if they're still on it?

Oh noooooooooooooooo.[​IMG]

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Most feed Co.'s will use one of two types of medications in there medicated chick starter as a active ingredient.

First type,
    Amprolium which goes by the trade names Corid and Amprovine, Amprolium, Amprol, Anticoccid and is a thiamine analog, competitively inhibits the active transport of thiamine (B1).
    According to the Amprolium site there is no withdrawal periods in both eggs and poultry meat.

The second type,
    Lasalocid goes by the trade name Bovatec. Bovatec (lasalocid) is a coccidiocide that kills coccidia. It is an ionophore that moves potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium into the cell causing the cell to burst. Bovatec works primarily on a single developmental stage of coccidia, providing a more narrow range of action than Deccox.
    There is no withdrawal required because Lasalocid is confined to the alimentary canal of the bird.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by