can i feed my 4 week old chicks yogurt ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Daniel_2kaii9, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Daniel_2kaii9

Daniel_2kaii9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    South Wales
    hey, can i give my 4 week old chicks and 2 week old chicks and 2 and a half week old ducklings plan yogurt ???

thanks

~Daniel~

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Yes. [​IMG]

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Just be prepared, they will make a huuuge mess! I tried plain yogurt a couple of days ago and it was a disaster. They ran through it and then you could see them look at their feet like "Yuck, what is this stuff?"

4. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yes! They will love it!
    But AKsmama makes an excellent point - if you put it down in the brooder they will run through it and it will be full of pine shavings in no time. One of my Brahmas would always try to stake her claim by standing IN the dish, it was not pretty with those feathered feet. [​IMG]
    I ended up using plastic drink caps about 2" in diameter, I'd just put a spoonful of yogurt in each and hold them in my hands - didn't take long for them to finish it off!

5. hannalice

hannalice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Vermont
    Quote:That's an idea... I've been using a shallow cat dish to give my chicks yogurt. Was just bemoaning the fact that it's not practical to hold that this morning (a hand taming session lost!)... drink caps, here we come!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by