1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I feed my chickens anything I would eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bigg Red, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Bigg Red

Bigg Red Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    I am tryint to save a little money and instead of always feeding chickens the chicken feed I was wondering if I could feed them all most of leftovers. I was told onions are bad for them but thats all I was told. Anything else I am missing?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Onions are fine if you like a bit of onion flavor in the eggs. Avoid salty things, they're not healthy. Fatty things aren't great either. pretty much anything else is okay.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    put treat list in the search bar ...some things are not good!

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  5. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I dumped a whole bowl of leftovers we had from Thanksgiving dinner in their run. This included part of the turkey carcass. They ate up everything and none of them died. I've given them leftover (cooked) squirrel, rabbit, and chicken carcasses. They pick them clean. About the only things I've found my chickens won't eat are beets and the regular potato peels. They loved the sweeto potato peels.

6. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Quote:Mine ate beets but not until everything else was gone. Once someone tried them they were ok to eat and were all gone by the next day. They were cooked though, I've never tried raw ones.

7. Bigg Red

Bigg Red Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    Thank you all for the advice, it helped a ton. Bigg Red

8. GarrettRanch

GarrettRanch New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    I have been told that chickens should not be fed potatoes or grapes because it will make them ill. Don't know the truth in this, just stating what I was told by a small breeder farm.

9. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    All I know is.....

Salt
    Sugar
    potatoes/peels
    citrus
    onions

10. wayne hulgan

wayne hulgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    We give ours all our left overs. they love grapes, some types more than others. ethnic foods, they love Italian, and chinese. (noodles, man they love noodles). Japanese is ok and Mexican not so much, but they eat it just takes longer. Buscuits and Gravy, lots of gravy, if messy counts, this is their most favorite leftover. They get gravy everywhere, all over you if you are too close. anyway we feed them any thing we eat except chicken. the wife thinks that's a little too much, but they do get scrambled eggs lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by