Can I feed My Chickens Birdseed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Farmgirl1000, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Farmgirl1000

Farmgirl1000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it is OK to feed my hens birdseed. My friend was saying it might be more healthy for my hens. I am concerned about the GMO "s in cracked corn and grain that I know is in "un-organic" chicken feed. Right now , I am feeding them Purina scratch, that has cracked corn and grain in it , along with Omega 3 , (Purina) Laying pellets. I know GMO grain and corn is really bad for them, (and for me too, when I eat their eggs.) Is it OK for me to feed them birdseed? I was wondering if their was a alternative , instead of the scratch I feed them now. Does anyone know of a place where I can buy Organic chicken feed, ( that is not too expensive)?

Also, does anyone know if Purina scratch grains are GMO products?

Thank you so much for any advice.[​IMG]

FarmGirl

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Look up feed mills in your area. Many have organic and non GMO feeds. My local feed mill is cheap...$9 for a 50# bag of feed. They can't certify as organic without raising their prices but their feed is non gmo and pesticide free. Something to look into...

2 people like this.
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

1 person likes this.
  4. Farmgirl1000

Farmgirl1000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

5. SNJchickens

SNJchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I, too, give mixed birdseed in winter as part of the scratch (treat) but in the summer I prefer a "cooling" grain such as rolled oats.

6. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    I also give my chickens a mixture of half birdseed and cracked corn in the winter. Birdseed and corn half chemicals that produce body heat, this makes it a great winter snack. And plus they love it. [​IMG]

7. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Whatever the parrots don't eat at night the chickens get the next morning...and they snatch it up pretty quick!

8. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    I would think the birdseed would be a nice treat. I had to take my backyard birdfeeder down because my chickens were ALWAYS siting under it, eating everything the wild birds dropped. I was worried about them getting diseases. Lots of protein in some of the birdseed mixes ( especially sunflower seeds).

9. icsd71

icsd71 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    I have have feed mine for years bird seed as a treat. They love it. Won't do any harm.

10. AlohaChickens80

AlohaChickens80 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Paradise! (aka Hawaii)
    I throw a handful or two out every morning when I let them out. They love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by