1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I feed my chickens canned red kidney beans?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cjkleck, Oct 13, 2015.

1. cjkleck

cjkleck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    I have read no raw or dry beans. Do I need to cook canned beans before feeding them?

2. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I don't know about feeding chickens legumes. But I do know the canned beans are already cooked.

3. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Canned beans are already cooked so - yes - you can feed them to your flock straight from the can. I give my girls cooked legumes every once in a while as a protein boost.

However . . . the great majority of my girls turn up their beaks at kidney beans. I've got one or two who eat them all!

4. cjkleck

Oct 8, 2015
    Ok. I wasn't sure if they needed to be cooked again or could be served out of the can or not served at all! I noticed I have a relatively large stock of them and thought if they could eat them I would have more room in my pantry!

5. cjkleck

Oct 8, 2015
    Well I have 29 chickens so hopefully 1 or 2 like them! I just got them sunday and they sure love when I bring the food scrap dish in the morning!

6. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, canned beans should be fine.

Mine often get them with other leftover "treats".

7. cjkleck

Oct 8, 2015
    I gave them a can today and they ate them all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by