can i feed my chickens(for treats), my parrots food pellets?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by redhen, Aug 28, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My African Grey is picky..he wont eat his red and yellow food pellets..[​IMG]...and so i end up throwing away alot of his pellets...so..today...i wet them to make them softer..and gave some to the chickens...(of course i should of asked this question BEFORE i gave them..:|..)..does anyone know if they are safe to give them a bit like 2x a week or so for extra vitamins and a treat?...Wendy

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure, I don't see why not.

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ..thanks silkiechicken!...[​IMG]..i was(am) just worried because i'm not sure of the exact vitamin content..etc..thats in them(they are a name brand though)....and if chickens can have those extra vitamins..or "whatever" is in the parrot pellets...so again, thanks

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

All treats in moderation. [​IMG]

5. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    We put the "left overs" from the cage trays and bowls out for the Delightful Dozen. At first they did not do much with it, now that they are older, they do attack the leftover seeds - sunflower and other - just not the peanuts.
    We feed moist food to the parrots and about midday, any moist that is left over goes out to the DDozen. They LOVE it.
    Moist food is brown rice, lentils, split peas, and veggies cooked up and served warm to the breeding parrots. The chickens & the dogs love it. In fact the dogs look hurt if they do not get a nice warm scoop when the parrots are being served!

Back to your original question - anything the parrots don't eat, and that the Delightful Dozen don't eat, becomes soil enrichment.

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thanks guys..appreciate the help...[​IMG].Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by