1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I feed my chickens just oyster shell & cracked corn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SmallFarmChick, Oct 20, 2013.

1. SmallFarmChick

SmallFarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    in the coop
    Hey y'all![​IMG]
    Can I feed just my hens cracked corn and oyster shells? Plus chicken-friendly scraps? I've heard of free range meat chickens that are only fed cracked corn. Can my laying hens be happy and healthy on corn and added oyster shell? It was an idea. Just wondering if my hens could live and produce eggs on a diet such as that. Thanks ahead of time!!!! [​IMG]

2. eggtraspecial

eggtraspecial Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    corn is best fed in winter months for extra energy and fat, a good laying mash or laying pellets are best for your best egg production.

3. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    The short answer. No.

4. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    no way

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You "can" but they won't be healthy nor productive on a restricted diet

6. the foot

the foot Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2012
    My Delawares roost in their coop at night but roam free during the day. Roaming free, they get all the protein they need and then some. They hardly eat their layer crumbles that I always provide. They are healthy and lay like crazy. However, they will go down on scratch feed and eat all of it. If your chickens are always in the coop, I think you should offer more than scratch feed for their health and productivity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by