1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I feed my chickens kale?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenCrazy4ever, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ChickenCrazy4ever

ChickenCrazy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    My house :D
    I've looked on several different sites and most of them said kale was good to feed chickens. Then i was looking at a site that said it either was or could be toxic. Which of the websites is correct?

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Both, and i forget why, but kale in large ammounts is NOT good. But kale in small ammounts IS good. Or is that spinach? Maybe both. Just don't give them kale all the time aor in large ammounts.

3. ChickenCrazy4ever

Jan 26, 2011
    How much do you think is too much kale?

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I have no idea. I'd feed a couple leafs per bird maybe once or twice a week. [​IMG]

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Kale used to be an important greenfeed back when commercial poultry was still raised outdoors.

6. ChickenCrazy4ever

Jan 26, 2011
    Thank you so much guys. [​IMG]

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I feed it all the time. Any of the dark, leafy greens are excellent for chickens. I tie a piece of twine on it & hang it from the roof of the run just above their heads so they have to work at getting it! It engages them for hours on end!

8. ChickenCrazy4ever

Jan 26, 2011
    Hmm. I'll have to try that. Thanks.

9. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Kale is excellent for chickens. It is very high in Vit A which is often lacking in the winter. Having said that, Vit A toxicity can occur at doses as low as 4X the DRA (Daily recommended allowance). So moderation is key.

I feed kale and collard greens, both high in Vit A, every day, about 1/2 leaf/hen.

Spinach has the ability to either block the uptake, or in some way interfere with Calcium absorbtion, so be sure if you feed it that you have sufficient oyster shell to compensate.

I hope this helps.

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Green vegetables don't actually contain any vitamin A. What they contain are precursors such as beta carotenes that can be converted into vitamin A within the body. It's not like eating too much shark liver where you are getting concentrated vitamin A.

Upon a time commercial birds were raised in fields of green kale or other winter forage or were fed large amounts of it that was cut from some place else. The birds will eat their fill then leave the rest.

[​IMG]

That wasn't kale but oats, wheat, and turnips but they were some happy birds that winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by