Can i feed my chickens phoenix worms?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by redhen, Aug 24, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    a lady that lives close by me has #500 for $10...she bought them for her lizard..he wont eat them..so..i was going to buy them from her for my chickens or ducks...does anyone know anything about them?..are they safe for my poultry?...thanks, Wendy

2. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Phoenix worms are the larvae of the black soldier fly, and a wonderful, nutritious treat for poultry! Gardeners love to see the worms in their compost, and I have them naturally occur in my compost. Every time I put more stuff to be composted in my bin, I reach in and grab a handful of the phoenix worms to feed my chickens. Don't hesitate for a second . . . they'll love them!
    Also, if you have a compost pile you can put try putting some of the worms in it . . . they speed up the composting process and cut back on the smell, and the presence of the larvae attracts the adult flies to lay eggs in the same spot. Black soldier flies look a little like black wasps, but they can't sting or bite you. They only live as adults for a day, and they aren't a pest insect at all, so you needn't feel worried about having them on your property. I never even see the flies, except maybe one or two hovering around the compost getting ready to lay eggs, but I must have thousands of larvae in my bin. They really are a fantastic insect.

ETA: This thread is a great one if you want to know exactly what they are https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11556

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thaks alot fowltemptress..(cool name by the way!..[​IMG])..we went and bought them today..my chickens and ducks will be happy tonight!..Wendy

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I wonder if they have any here where we live?

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i dont know..but..i'm really thinking about starting a compost bin!!..great for my garden..and free treats for my chickens!...now i have to start researching how to start a bin..lol..Wendy

6. bildova

bildova Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2014
    would they be ok to feed to baby chicks ? the small ones and if so is there anything i should do to feed them to the babies like grit and so on ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by