Can I feed my chickens Rabbit feed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sabrina Roberts, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Sabrina Roberts

Sabrina Roberts Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2017
    Washington Louisiana
    I ran out of chicken feed and I don't get paid until tomorrow can I feed my chickens my rabbits feed or bird feed just for today

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If it's just for one day, they will be fine on whatever you have on hand. Just don't make it a regular habit.

3. Sabrina Roberts

Mar 13, 2017
    Washington Louisiana
    OK thanks

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

5. Vpridefarm

Vpridefarm New Egg

Jul 31, 2014
    I don't post much, but I will chime in here. YES! Keep in mind if you free range at all, all of those different morsels your chickens choose to eat on there own, scratching and pecking! Most animal feed that is not medicated have mostly the same primary ingredients. If you use quality feed, only the portions of proteins and such will differ. I use a feed that is mixed and milled locally. The seller uses the same ingredients in both our pig and chicken feed. However he customizes the amounts to give me more calcium in my chicken feed, and more protein in my piggies feed. I would agree, that unless you do a nutritional analysis or ingredient comparison, long term feeding may affect egg production. If you just ran out, you will be fine. You will run out of rabbit feed before it will bother your chickens. ;p If you plan to consolidate what you feed, do the analysis.

6. Sabrina Roberts

Mar 13, 2017
    Washington Louisiana
    Thanks for all the information I am new at raising chickens and I am still learning

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with the above posts. Okay for a day or so and in moderation. [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by