Can I feed my chickens...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chick_a_dee, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Marrow bones. We can buy them at the grocery store and we get them for the dogs usually. They're cow bones with the marrow in them.

2. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    My chickens peck on my dogs soup bones. They are omnivores, so it won't kill them. You just can not sell the eggs as "Vegetarian Fed Chicken Eggs". If they are free range you can still sell them as 'Free Range Eggs'.

3. kannm

kannm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Quote:But they eat bugs...If you want to call them vegetarian fed chicken eggs, don't you need to keep them from eating bugs?

4. Edfewlass

Edfewlass Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2009
    Callahan Fl
    Quote:But they eat bugs...If you want to call them vegetarian fed chicken eggs, don't you need to keep them from eating bugs?

I think vegetarians are allowed to eat bugs

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Chickens are omnivores, to be precise, and should have a portion of their diet made up of animal protein. They, in fact, love it and need it.

Bone marrow will do nicely.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    It is better for the chickens to be heathly, the marrow should be fine, they do need animal proteins.

7. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Woot! I'll throw some out for them tomorrow. And I've never heard of vegetarian chickens... surely that's not healthy, just like its not healthy to have a dog on a vegetarian diet.

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Careful, you're gonna get modded talking like that around here [​IMG]

Seriously, the diet of galliforms is made up of many things, to include insects, grubs and even carrion. Chickens have been known to eat snakes, frogs, mice and other small animals with a passion.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mine love pollack and salmon.

Adds that healthy Omega 3 to the eggs.

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Careful, you're gonna get modded talking like that around here [​IMG]

We don't mind questions and differences of opinion, as long as they're expressed respectfully. You both are doing fine. [​IMG]

Davaroo is right; chickens are naturally opportunists and omnivores, much like seagulls. They'll eat whatever is available.

Protein is very good for them, which is why some people cook eggs and feed them back to their fowl.

Check out the "Treats" sticky thread for some other ideas of things you can feed your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by