Can I feed my flock game bird feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mary Coleman, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Mary Coleman

Mary Coleman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2012
    North Eastern Oregon
    I have a mixed flock consisting of geese, chickens, and turkeys and am currently feeding 16% layer crumbles mixed with 18% all flock pellets. I was wondering if I could drop the layer crumbles and replace them with higher protein gamebird feed because I've heard that the extra calcium in the layer feed isn't good for turkeys or geese. I'm also wondering if the gamebird feed would give my birds nicer feathers because of the added protein and especially during the molting season. Would the gamebird feed do more harm or good? What are y'alls thoughts? :confused:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You would be better off just feeding the all flock. That's what I feed everyone. Layer ration doesn't have enough protein and I think it's worthless. Game bird might have too much protein. I have read that people feed it without problems, but I don't have any experiences with. Sometimes too much protein can be a bad thing. I just keep a separate dish of oyster shells for the extra calcium needs, and everyone has been doing great on the all flock. Mine is 18% too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by