Can I Feed My Flock Not-Plain Oatmeal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Whittni, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Alrighty, I've read that you can feed the chickens plain oatmeal but how about this one:

"Cinnamon and Spice"

If you don't know it for a fact please don't reply. I had just got a good deal on about 30 boxes of the Cinnamon and Spice flavored oatmeal. I figured my flock might like it since its starting to get cold now.

Thanks!

The Answer: NO

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
  3. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    I don't think it would hurt to give them some every couple of days as a treat.

A couple of days ago I put 3/4 of a chocolate cake out in the coop and it was gone in no time! My chickens also eat leftover birthday cake, pizza, chicken carcasses, noodles, veggies, scalloped potatoes, whatever I have. They love it all.

Sugar is not the best thing for them (neither for us) but everything in moderation. My chickens don't eat cake every day.

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I give my gang sweets when I have them left over, it has not cut down on their consumption of feed....

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You do know that there are much cheaper and healthier chicken treats, yes?

I can't see where it would hurt them occasionally. I've never bought any of it so I don't know what is in it, but the cinnamon is a actually good for them. Sugar, not so much, but a little bit won't hurt them.

I am going to assume you are cooking this because instant oatmeal is too fine and powdery and not the best way to feed oats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by