Can I feed my girls cockateil food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by can you hear me now?, Jul 19, 2010.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I ran out of feed and didn't know I was about out. My youngest one usually lets them out and feeds them in the morning. Will be going to feed store in the morning and they are HUNGRY. The neighbors had some food for their pet bird but it died and they gave it to me. I read all that is in it and am not sure whether to feed to my chicks or not. Any ideas or maybe someone that JUST KNOWS?

2. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

When our 12 year old cockatiel passed, I had about a 5 lb sack of food for her. I tossed it out to the chickens, and they DEVOURED it. I never thought it may be harmful to them. I fed them 5 lbs over a period of 3 or 4 days and saw no adverse affects.

JMHO -
    Em

3. Rohnasmom

Rohnasmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2010
    Bradford County .Pa.
    Should be fine for older birds, would not give to chicks, just my opinion.

4. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Good. They arent really young chicks. They are fully feathered and I would say a few of them are big enough that it won't be long before they are laying. Now I know and can use it. Thanks to anyone that has answered.

5. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    If they are older birds it wont hurt them.We Divied out some wild bird seed after winter to the bird's here.They wont get nothing much they aren't able to free range on so...I clean my parrot's cage and put the seed dropping's near fence when I clean his tray's some of the bird's picking picking.Seed's are natural and shouldn't hurt them.They will pick and choose what they like.

6. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Good I have given them access to gravel for their crops previoulsy and now they are in natural missouri soil. It is plenty rocky where I am. My main concern was whether it would be good or bad for them. Nothing I saw looked bad, I just didn't want them to eat it and then the next morning be all dead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by