Can I feed my girls dried shrimp?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Duchessk75, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Duchessk75

Duchessk75 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    1.9 Acres Ohio
    Recently a friend of mine brought me a case of dried shrimp and mealworm mixed together. He works at a place that produces pet food products, and they get discounts on pet food, and they had a surplus of this product and he got it at a really good price. He brought them to me for my iguana, cause on the box it says for lizards. I can't feen it to my iguana, she is strictly a veggie eater(plus it stinks, and I don't want it in my house lol). Is it safe to feed this to my chickens? They are freeze dried little bitty shrimp and mealworm. Knowing my girls, they will love it, but I need a little bit more information before I give it to them. Currently they are on layer pellets, with garden scraps for treats.

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I feed mine left over shrimp when I come home from fishing. They were bait. I also feed smoked fish and they go crazy. At first I worried about bones but then I started giving them the whole thing and they pick the bones clean.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    As long as you dole it out as a treat it should be great! Super-duper protein and calcium source. Can you bag it and freeze it? It does stink!

4. baileychic

baileychic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Delavan, WI
    I feed mine left over shrimp that we had for dinner. They loved it! Along with the salmon my mother gave me [​IMG]

5. Duchessk75

Duchessk75 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    1.9 Acres Ohio
    I'm not sure if I want to put it in my freezer lol Its pretty stinky. But the case is 12 sealed cannisters, with an expiration date of next year. With 26 chickens, even feeding as a treat, I shouldnt need to freeze it. Thanks for assuring me that its safe for my girls. I'm pretty careful about what I feed them, since last month when I tried to cut cost by mixing cracked corn into their food, about half and half, and they responded to the lack of vitamins by cracking and eating their eggs... I switched them back to strickly layer pellets and have had no issues since, but the last thing I want to do is cause a lack of good nutrition..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by