Can I Feed My Hens Grower Feed Instead Of Layers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by traybo, Jul 6, 2011.

1. traybo

traybo Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Can i feed my hens grower feed/chick starter instead of layers? but continue to give them crushed oryster shell? I have alot of hen and pulletts that have to free range and I have ran out of layers until payday.. so i can give them starter or allstock feed, ive heard that the all stock could hurt them is this true? any suggestions on what i can feed my lady's till i get paid again that wont mess with my egg production? thank you!!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Quote:Starter + oyster shell is ok [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'd opt for Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side for the big girls...

4. traybo

May 25, 2011
    do the hens need a bucket of feed at all times to lay there best? i have tried both ways and dont see a difference.. how do some of yall feed your hens and what do you feed them.. I need some ideas... thanks for your replys...;[​IMG]

5. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    Quote:x2 Working great for my flock!

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

R.M. Hens :

Quote:x2 Working great for my flock!

X 3 - I haven't used layer feed for over a year. There are just too many little ones that shouldn't have the calcium, and I do also feed ducks and geese, and quite a few roosters. Everybody not in a brooder gets Nutrena "All Flock," which is 18% protein. I keep the crushed oyster shell dish full all the time.​

7. traybo

May 25, 2011
    ok whats the brand name? where do i buY it ? how much Does it cost?? thank you so much
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] OH WAIT A MIN... IS FLOCK RAISER THE SAME AS STARTER FEED? I get the chick starter in the 50 pound bag at co-op but hte bag always says poultry feed.. so that is what i will give them along with the crused shells till i get paid again.. does that sound ok or is the flock raiser a diff kind of food?

8. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Flock Raiser and Chick Starter are 2 different feeds. I also use flock raiser with osyter shell on the side. I think this is a good way to feed a wide variety of chickens. At one point I had a turkey and a rooster that really didn't need the extra calcium that would be in a layer feed. That is when I decided to start using flock raiser and oyster shell. I no longer have the turkey or rooster, but I do now have older hens that are laying and younger ones that are not. So once again this combination is best for me because the younger chickens don't need the extra calcium that would be present in a layer feed.

I get my Purina Flock Raiser at Tractor Supply and I think the last bag cost me about 16 bucks.

9. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I use the grower/finisher as well. I have geese and ducks that don't need the calcuim in the layer feed so I decided a few years back that after the chicks stopped the starter food they could eat the grower finisher and I could have a seperate bowl for the calcuim and grit.

Seems to work great and I still get plenty of eggs.

10. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    Quote:I don't think Flock Raiser is the same as Starter Feed. The Flock Raiser 50# bag I buy at my local feed store says "Purina Flock Raiser." It comes in pellet and crumble, but I buy only the pellets. For me, it cost about $13 for a 50# bag.

Good Luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by