can i feed my young pullets scratch grains???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Taylor, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    i have 13 week old hens and i have been mixing 50 lb chick starter/grower with 25lb of scratch corn, will this mixture hurt them in anyway???? will it hurt their egg laying machinery???

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

They really don't need that much scratch as it is more of a treat than a food. Sorta like giving a child 1/3 off all they eat candy. But it won't hurt them, they just won't do near as good as if you just feed them regular food as a main diet and a couple of hand fulls of scratch a day as a treat.
    Also, be sure they have grit free choice when feeding any kind of grains.

Good luck

3. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I have no experience with this, but. I have read on here that scratch should not be more then 10% of their diet. They will fill up on it and not get the protein they need.
    Food for thought.

4. Taylor

Dec 14, 2008
    i made it that way so i can stretch their feed longer, will they still grow properly, i started this a few weeks ago, they are 13-15 wks old now.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Personally, I'd never mix scratch/corn/grains with their starter because it lowers the protein levels, though not all scratch is created equal.

I use Knockout Game Bird Feed, which is an 11 grain mix that is 12% protein for my "scratch", though I never put it in the feeder, just toss a little on the ground in the morning when I let out the birds. For youngsters, they should have very little corn since it's only about 8% protein and not enough nutrition for their development. Their are Game Cock conditioners that are grain mixes that are about 17% protein that would make an excellent scratch, but they are pricier than other types.

6. Taylor

Dec 14, 2008
    they have 19% chick starter/grower at all times and scratch mixed into it

7. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    scratch is a treat. Also in hot weather it really should be minimal as it raises the birds body temp more than their regular feed. (read that on here somewhere). If the are getting close to laying age you might mix in some layers mash to cut cost a little but I would not do more that 25 percent until you see the first egg. If you have already mixed scratch and chick starter I would use it all like scratch and just throw out a hand ful or two on the ground in the morning for a treat. Hope you figure it out.

8. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:its the corn that raises the body temp. feeding more corn in winter cold months than summer because of this.

blessed be )O(
    Pink

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Actually, that has been proven false. Corn does not raise the body temps, though it does add body fat, which helps them in winter months. There is a huge older thread on that here by mac in abilene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by