can I feed new chicks oatmeal?

floridaquilter

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 31, 2010
Crescent City, FL
so hubby comes home with 12 new babies. (buff orpingtons) I only have laying mash on hand and I read that I can give them instant oatmeal until the proper feed can be bought. I just need to keep them going until tomorrow morning so I can make a trip to the farmstore.
what do you all think?? I crunched up oatmeal and put it in a flat feeder. I also have boiled eggs to crumble but I will wait to see what some of you suggest.
I would worry that the oatmeal will make them sick.

I think that you can give them the oatmeal, but also give them the boiled (scrambled also works) eggs for protein. Be sure to provide grit.

Oats are fine. But just the regular oats. Not the maple and brown sugar, or

anything like that. Oatmeal will get them through the night just fine. Mashed

up boiled egg is also just amazing in their eyes.
tongue.png
I once had to feed a baby

oatmeal for a couple days straight, becuase his mother turned on him and we

had to take him in unprepared.

wink.png

❀ScissorChick❀

I have fed my baby orpingtons oatmeal from the first week, they love it! I just sprinkled it all around in the brooder, I didn't cook it.. I also boiled and egg, chopped it up and gave that to them, it is by far their most favorite!

I have my 6 chicks oatmeal for the first time this morning. They loved it! I even mixed some with a boiled egg mashed up really good. The protien/fiber is supposed to be really good.

They are so happy (I was worried about them eating egg... it seems wrong, no? lol) but they love it

I give mine oatmeal for a treat especially in winter. i give it to all my chickens...big and small and chicks....they all love it...but that is a treat each day though so i guess it should be fine and it has some nutritional value as well.

I buy the cheap store stuff that cooks in 2 minutes...easy quick and they love it...it is a good nutritious cheap treat...I also put raisins, craisins or sultans in it...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom