Can I feed newborn chicks grower/finisher crumble?

Chwicks

Chirping
Mar 14, 2018
North Wisconsin
Hi all. We will have one of our hens hatching her first clutch any day now.

Unfortunately, non of our feed stores have organic chick starter crumble in stock. I’m wondering if I can allow them to each the grower/finisher that we feed all of our other chickens.

We never switched to layer feed because I read on here that it’s really not necessary as long as there is calcium supplements available (and we have a rooster). We have oyster shell available to the girls 24/7.

The grower/finisher we feed is 20% protein. Is that safe for newborn chicks, or should I just buy non-organic chick starter crumble? I’ve done research, but I’m not 100% sure that there are other variables to consider outside of protein and calcium. The Calcium min in our grower/finisher is 0.80% and the Calcium max is 1.30%.

Any thoughts and/or advice are appreciated. :)

Yes, new chicks need about 18-20% protein so that is perfect. After 8 weeks they should be getting 16-18% protein, roughly, until they are 18-20 weeks old, or start laying, then switch to layer or provide free-choice oyster shells.
Thanks so much. I just keep them on grower/finisher and provide free-choice oyster shells. :) I thought it might be ok to feed the same grower/finisher to the baby chicks because it is 20% protein, but I figured it’s better to ask some fellow chicken tenders before proceeding. Thanks again! Have a wonderful day!

Yes that will be fine. I never switched my flock over either for the same reasons. Good luck with your broody and chicks!
Thanks so much! I can’t wait to hear some peeping. I just want to make sure I don’t set them up for any problems by them lacking other nutrients in the feed, or there being too much of anything that will affect their kidneys, etc.

Have a wonderful day!

That feed sounds fine, only thing I'd be cautious about is what form is the grower feed in? Crumbles would be great. If they're pellets, you're going to need to crush them up.

Well nevermind it was in the title lol.

Back
Top Bottom