Can I feed our jack-o-lantern pumkins to our white duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Breezr, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Breezr

Breezr New Egg

Sep 8, 2012
    For Halloween- although we did purchase carving pumpkins- we didn't end up actually carving them and they have just sat on our porch looking pretty. Now I need to do something with them and I was wondering if I could cut them up and feed some of it to our white duck? We adopted this duck because it was in an abusive home and- after being hit by a car!!!- it needed MUCH TLC. However- she is our first duck and we have been learning as we go along. Thankfully we live in the beautiful Texas hill country and the weather & foraging opps are plentiful. Nonetheless- she's confined to an area about 25ft. x 30ft.- has her own person swimming pool that we clean daily- and her diet is limited to the duck "mash" we've purchased at the feed store and whatever bugs we can find for her; which was a MUCH easier job when it was grasshopper season!;) She also seems to really enjoy eating tiny seed bird seed mixed with water in her mash bowl. Anyway- reading on the internet about the pumpkin- and SEEDS in general- we are getting VERY conflicting advice. Can you guys help us? Thanks MUCH!! ~Miss Bree - Momma to Dorothy-the-Duck <:)

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    [​IMG]

Yes she can eat pumpkin. Depending on the size of the seeds (I have had some that were huge) I would just scoop out the insides. I would probably just cut it in half and let her have at it. Don't give her too much but depending on how quickly she's eating it, give her maybe an hour with it then pick it up. You can also freeze some if you have alot then thaw it chop it up and give it to her later.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    You can try, my ducks thought it was dumb idea lol Only my chickens like pumpkins... but again every duck is different... GL!

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, my ducks nibble and gnaw at the pumpkins I throw in the chicken yard. They enjoy them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by