Can I feed quail chicks adult food?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by selkiepelts, Mar 3, 2016.

1. selkiepelts

selkiepelts Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    I was talking to one of my professors at the college I attened and I brought up that I'm expecting 4 fertilized quail eggs to show up soon, and discovered he actually used to raise quail himself growing up. We were talking about feed and if he knew where a feed store was that would sell food for the chicks and he said he used to feed them adult food and they were fine? I was wondering if that was actually fine or if I should find a c h ick formula, or if it's fine is there a way I should alter it for the chicks with extra protein mix in or something?

They are cortunix chicks

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't know about quail but in chickens you cannot do that. I can't remember the exact science behind it about too much calcium in the adult food or not enough protein but I know that at least in chickens you cannot feed adult food to chicks. Check the brands and the people at your feedstore, they should know for sure.

3. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    I feed all my birds 28% game bird from day one. I do grind it up for the new born chicks the first 4-5 days.

4. selkiepelts

Mar 3, 2016
    Alright, are there any specific brand you would recommend then? Odds are I'm going to have family ship it to me fro. TX since there are more locations, and that way I can make sure the chicks are pn a healthy diet.

5. Em Ty

Em Ty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    I'll second pkhunter. I buy 28% turkey starter crumbles. I did grind them up for the first 5 days but I probably didn't need to. If they're pellets, you'll have to grind them.

Gamebird or turkey starter won't have the high calcium that a layer ration has. My laying chickens get 3.7% calcium and my quail get the 28% with 1.42% calcium. I currently feed my laying quail the 28% with free choice ground up eggshell that I bake at 300*F for an hour or so. I may drop the layers down to 24% by mixing in a duck starter, but I haven't decided yet.

The higher the protein content the faster they will grow. I also think they're healthier and they sure feather out fast, so I wouldn't feed less than 28% if you can get it. I know some guys who feed 20% and even 18%, but I think 18% is way too low and the guy who feeds 20% has decided to switch to a higher protein at least for growing them out.

With 4 birds you won't need medicated feed. Good luck and have fun.

6. Em Ty

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    I think Purina makes a 30% gamebird that's called Startena or something like that. I have a feel store that stocks non-GMO turkey starter at 28% for $20.81 CAD, so I go with that. I've used their non-GMO layer for 3 years and always had very healthy birds.

1 person likes this.
  7. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    If your getting it in Texas find a dealer that sells Bryant 28% game bird. I purchased 4 bags last week and it was $12.25 per 50# bag. The last time I checked purina 30% gamebird was about $21 a bag.

8. selkiepelts

Mar 3, 2016
    It depends, if I'm shipping it from TX, (I live in IL), the shipping price may make it about the same anyways. But I will look into it!

9. selkiepelts

Mar 3, 2016
    Right now it seems the most I can find in my area for quail chick food has 24% protein. I was wondering if there was something i could add to it, like ground up egg or anything to make the protein higher for the chicks that would make it work?

10. Em Ty

Oct 3, 2013
    St. Clements, ON
    Yep, boiled eggs will work very well. I also know guys who use 24% or less and it works out just fine. One recently switched to 28% and said they grew faster, but you can get by with 24%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by