Can I feed raw, cracked eggs to my hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenalice, Jul 21, 2011.

1. chickenalice

chickenalice Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Sometimes an egg gets dropped. Is it okay for me to feed that raw egg to my hens? Will they get sick from it?

Also, how long do refrigerated eggs last? And if I don't collect eggs for a few days, will they still be good?
    Thanks!

2. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I do it all the time - i have a board in the pasture and i throw it against that to make sure it is rreally cracked open and they LOVE it

3. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    Wouldn't that encourage them to sabotage the eggs in your coop?

4. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    soem say it will cause them to start eating their own eggs but I have never had a problem with that. They won't eat it till it's cracked. It won't hurt them so do it at your own eggeating risk. You can keep eggs for up to 2-3 months in the fridge and 10 days at room temp.

5. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    It doesnt - i never give them the cracked ones in their coop - always out in the pasture. Been doing it for years and never had an issue . that is why i slam it real hard - i am thinking they dont see it as an egg - or at least not as the same as the ones in the nests

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by