1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I feed stuffing . . . with chicken broth in it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by austradork, Nov 21, 2010.

1. austradork

austradork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    Last night I chaperoned a group of international students at traditional thanksgiving buffet. There were a ton of leftovers, and let's just say I literally have 5 boxes of stuffing. I took so much because I was planning on giving some to our chickens for their breakfast . . . until my boyfriend pointed out that the stuffing most definitely contains chicken and turkey broth. Now I feel torn. I don't want to deprive them of a delicious treat just because *I* feel uncomfortable serving chicken broth to chickens. And obviously, they wouldn't even know. However, it does feel a bit wrong.

What would you guys do?

2. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    LOL, everybody loves chicken. Chickens included.

Mine LOVE chicken lo mein. They are not people. They will not be offended. [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Unless it has a lot of salt in it I'd feed it to them. I'd be more concerned about the salt than the chicken broth.
    Chickens can actually be quite cannibilistic so I don't think they'll mind a bit of broth.

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Quote:Unless it has a lot of salt in it I'd feed it to them. I'd be more concerned about the salt than the chicken broth.
    Chickens can actually be quite cannibilistic so I don't think they'll mind a bit of broth.

X2

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    They'll love you for it!! [​IMG]

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    its fine. do you have any mashed potatoes? they love that too!

7. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Let chickens enjoy Thanksgiving as well! They would enjoy most anything on the table, but refresh your memory by looking at the treat list on the board. You will find an empty container in short order.

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Actually you could really pamper your birds: go with turkey, stuffing, mash potatoes + gravy, yams, green beans, cranberry sauce, olives, celery and pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream--they'd scarf down all of that [​IMG]

9. Barbierifarms

Barbierifarms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2010
    My chickens ate leftover boneless skinless chicken & LOVED it.Everyone I told about it thought it was a little wierd....lol-They will also eat Turkey on thanksgiving!

10. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    All the above are correct.

If you will look at the ingredients in your poultry feed you will generally find it list either 'animal byproducts' or 'poultry byproducts.' Chickens are carnivores and do better with some animal protein: that includes chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by