Can I feed sugar snap snow pea vines to my girls?

maclady

Songster
8 Years
Jan 28, 2011
Lost in Space
The peas are done producing now and only a couple left on vine. It is hitting 95 everyday this week so not surprised they quit. Can I hang the vines in the run for the girls (14wks) to eat? They love the peas as long as I shell them out for them. I have read that they will eat anything green so I was wondering. I want to replant the area so need to remove the vines. Thanks.

I gave mine to my vines to my girls they loved them and didn't seem to have any adverse reactions. Somewhere I read you should cook peas though.

Oops! I didn't know you had to cook the peas since you can eat it pod and all. Fortunately the peas were really small and they don't seem to have bothered them any. I will pull the vines and ties them to the fence dangling down so they have something to do. First off I have to get them cooled off though. Thanks.

Quote:
I think you read that you should cook beans before feeding.

And yes, pea vines are edible and chickens love them. Squash vines, too!

I had intended to wait until the end of March to get chicks, intending by that time to have a new coop and run built. I already had a 25 ft. x 25 ft. dog run built like Fort Knox, but I wasn't planning on putting my chickens in there, so I planted snow peas and sugar snap peas along the fence so they had something to climb.

Then...the first week of March, I fell victim to the lure of newly hatched fuzzy butts and ended up with my first batch of chicks. Needless to say, when they outgrew the brooder, they ended up in the run with the beautiful crop of pea vines climbing the fence. The vines became their new favorite treat. Thankfully, pea vines are very nutritious and tasty, so the chicks at least got a healthy snack. I didn't get one pea for myself.

Back
Top Bottom