Can I feed them DROPSEED?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jennyjane, Feb 17, 2014.

1. jennyjane

jennyjane New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    My husband came home with a bag of dropseed, wondering if I could feed it to the chickens. I can't find anywhere that it's poisonous to them, but I'm wondering if I would need to supplement it with something else, to make it a more balanced diet? Can you guys help me out?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I had to google dropseed. Is what you have the seed for a plant called dropseed? If so, I would worry that it was treated seed.

Never feed treated seed to livestock- it would be coated in poison. If it isn't feed grade don't feed it.

3. jennyjane

jennyjane New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    It hasn't been treated with anything. My husband works for a company that produces, cleans and sells native grass and flower seeds. So it's just pure dropseed grass seed, which is native to where we live. So I would think it would be something chickens ate naturally if they lived wildly around here. But I assume they need more in their diet than just seed. Maybe if I mixed it with store bought chicken feed, it would help reduce my cost and still be good feed for them???

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I don't know if it is edible by poultry or not. However, I can tell you that I feed my chickens grass seed that I collect at the tops of the grass that has gone to seed (just by hand, a few at a time).

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'd start with a small amount, as a treat in the afternoon or evening. Without knowing more about the nutritional content it's hard to say how it would effect your birds' production, etc. I would use it as a supplement to commercial feed, not the other way around. I'd think your birds will love it.

6. jennyjane

jennyjane New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    Yes, I think that's what I'll do. A little bit included with the regular feed. Thanks for the feedback you guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by