CAN I FEED THIS TO MY CHICKEN?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by suburbansilkies, Sep 4, 2016.

1. suburbansilkies

suburbansilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    England, UK
    Hi guys, recently I bought some peanut butter and I was wondering if you can feed this to chickens. It's 96% peanuts with 4% oil so it's pretty natural but is it too fatty for them or is the protein good for them?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I would try to avoid peanut butter. I don't think it is toxic to chickens, but believe it or not, peanuts are slightly poisonous. When you feed it to smaller animals, the poison is more effective. Peanut butter could also get stuck in their narrow throats and choke them. I don't think it necessarily will harm them, but I wouldn't recommend giving it to chickens.

3. suburbansilkies

suburbansilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    England, UK
    Thanks for the reply but how come wild birds can eat it and not chickens? Thanks for your advice btw

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined us. I know I have fed peanut butter to mine as a treat in the past - but only as a once in awhile thing. I usually will mix just enough into a quantity of black oil sunflower seeds so the the mass will stick together. I do this in the winter when it's cold and snowy and they don't want to stray too far from the coop. They love it and as far as I could tell, no adverse issues. I know I was thinking what you said about wild birds eating it. That said, I can't verify that PB is or isn't "good" for them. Maybe like they say - all things in moderation?? As a related issue, here's a link to a treat chart for chickens https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens
    Others may chime in with additional opinions. Best of luck to you! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC. It's great to have you!

Personally I wouldn't, just given how sticky it is. I would be concerned about choking.

1 person likes this.
  6. eggolio

eggolio Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    I feed chickens peanuts all the time for treats and I haven't had problems.but peanut butter might be too sticky

1 person likes this.
  7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    When you feed it to wild birds, you don't get to see what the outcome is - if it does bother them or not.

eggolio and suburbansilkies like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by