CAN I FEED THIS TO MY CHICKEN?

suburbansilkies

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2016
England, UK
Hi guys, recently I bought some peanut butter and I was wondering if you can feed this to chickens. It's 96% peanuts with 4% oil so it's pretty natural but is it too fatty for them or is the protein good for them?

I would try to avoid peanut butter. I don't think it is toxic to chickens, but believe it or not, peanuts are slightly poisonous. When you feed it to smaller animals, the poison is more effective. Peanut butter could also get stuck in their narrow throats and choke them. I don't think it necessarily will harm them, but I wouldn't recommend giving it to chickens.

I would try to avoid peanut butter. I don't think it is toxic to chickens, but believe it or not, peanuts are slightly poisonous. When you feed it to smaller animals, the poison is more effective. Peanut butter could also get stuck in their narrow throats and choke them. I don't think it necessarily will harm them, but I wouldn't recommend giving it to chickens.

Thanks for the reply but how come wild birds can eat it and not chickens? Thanks for your advice btw

Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined us. I know I have fed peanut butter to mine as a treat in the past - but only as a once in awhile thing. I usually will mix just enough into a quantity of black oil sunflower seeds so the the mass will stick together. I do this in the winter when it's cold and snowy and they don't want to stray too far from the coop. They love it and as far as I could tell, no adverse issues. I know I was thinking what you said about wild birds eating it. That said, I can't verify that PB is or isn't "good" for them. Maybe like they say - all things in moderation?? As a related issue, here's a link to a treat chart for chickens https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens
Others may chime in with additional opinions. Best of luck to you! :)

I feed chickens peanuts all the time for treats and I haven't had problems.but peanut butter might be too sticky

welcome-byc.gif

Found this old thread on the subject. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598941/peanutbutter

Back
Top Bottom