can i fit this many?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HSerChickLady, May 23, 2012.

1. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Songster

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    I'm currently planning to put several of our new chicks into our existing flock once they're big enough. But in case that transition doesn't work out i was wondering if i could fit everyone in my soon to be built coop? If i have to fit all the new chicks into the new coop i'd have 30 hens in a 6'x10' coop, that will likely have a 16'x16' attached run. Can i fit them all in there without overcrowding? When i did the math that would give them a combined total (inside and out) of 10 sq ft of foot room which i "think" is enough room but wanted to make sure. I wish i could free-range them but i cannot due to predators in our area.

2. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Songster

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    Some say that 10 square feet in total is enough. Others say 10 square feet of run per standard-sized bird in a run plus four square feet for each in the coop.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    You're in Upstate NY so there's a lot of the year when they won't be using the run. Then they'll have 2 sq ft per bird. That's pretty tight for bantams & much too tight for large fowl.

4. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Songster

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Yeah that's kinda what i was thinking. Last winter my layers were in their coop a lot on the really cold days. I had been aiming for 4 sq ft of coop room and 10 sq ft of run room. But chicken math has gotten the best of me i'm afraid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: