1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Can I free range my 2 1/2 month old chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Willow's Meadow, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Songster

Apr 16, 2010
    I have 17 chickens that are 2 1/2 months old. I want to start free ranging them. Are they old enough? Or should I wait till they are older. How old should they be?

2. Jackie B.

Jackie B. Paris Mtn. Eggs

May 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Mine are 10 weeks old and free range as they so please in our fenced in yard. They love it and put themselves to bed. I do have older hens so I just crack the run door so they can get in and the older ones can't. How long have yours been cooped up?

-Jackie

3. Beekissed

Beekissed Free Ranging

I start free ranging with moms at 2 weeks and without moms at 4 wks. Provide plenty of places to duck for cover and if you don't have a good dog to protect them while they are out, you might consider getting one.

4. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Songster

Apr 16, 2010
    well my'n have a very big fenced in run and a coop. they've been in the coop/fenced in run for 2 months. but i want to truly free range them....like no fence nothing. so they can go in the field and woods. but not sure what age is good to start. they put themselves to bed every night by them selves right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by