Can I Free Range Them Yet???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wsdareme, Aug 21, 2010.

1. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I have 12 EE youngsters that were given to us by my DH's boss when they were a couple of days old. I really didn't need 12 more birds, but we couldn't say no. So, they are now living in a 12'x12' stall in the horse barn. I believe there are 6 roos in the bunch. They're 9 weeks old now and, boy, are they an aggressive bunch of birds -- much more so than my 12 pullets that are now 3-1/2 months old. I'd like to let them out to free range. Maybe if the roos had a little more room and a job to do keeping their girls safe they won't fight so much. I don't have any enclosed pen or fence, but there are a lot of places for them to hide from daytime predators. Are they old enough to turn loose to free range? They've been in the stall for a month now, so it certainly is home to them. I'm thinking they might hang out near the older birds, who are in an enclosed run. I am only planning to keep 2-3 of the EE pullets, and (please don't crucify me for this) I'm not as concerned about losing one here or there. They are wilder than March hares and are not anything like the other ones that all have names and are pets. I'm thinking I should let them out a couple hours before dark so they don't have all day to disappear. We have cats in the area, but they seem to be interested in the mice -- they have never even looked at or gotten near my coop. Any advice will be much appreciated!!!

2. If you can get them back in at night and if you will be able to continue letting them out it should be fine.

3. wsdareme

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Thanks! I'll start today!!! I bet they don't leave the stall right away, though. LOL!!

4. Quote:Let me know how it works out [​IMG]

5. bundick

bundick New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    West point AL.
    I had Chickens when I lived in South Seattle. No roosters though.
    The Coyotes, Skunks, Coon's, Possum, house cats, stray dogs, Fox, weasels, and even the occasional Wild Cat all love Free ranging Chickens:(
    Remember what happend up on San Juan Island. They brought in Fox to eat the Rabbits, but Fox like Chickens better, so the Rabbits are still there and the Fox are gone.[​IMG]

Yelm is a fur piece out in the country.
    You might have all those critters nearby and dont know it. Also if you live near the woods, the dumbest of Human Beings will drop off an Un-Wanted Fideaux and it might find your Free Ranging chickens pretty tasty.

6. wsdareme

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:LOL!! Yes, and they're STILL overrun with rabbits up in the islands!! Our neighbors both free range their chickens -- I don't know how many they've lost. The only dog I've seen over here belongs to the guy who free ranges his chickens, and it's pretty small. We have seen a weasel once, out in the hay field popping in and out of mole hills. And we do have a healthy hawk and eagle population. I'm hoping they'll hang out close to the barn and the other girls. I'll only free range when I'm out with them, I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by