Can I freeze the stock parts and make it when it is cooler?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by justlearning, Jul 9, 2011.

1. justlearning

justlearning Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    My husband and 10 year old son just butchered our first 4 meaties. They said it really wasn't that bad. Now it is time for my part. Can I freeze the parts I want to use for stock and make/can the stock at a later date--or do I need to do it know. Heading into the upper 80s so think a nice cool fall day would be much more enjoyable time to do it--plus I will have 5 more birds butchered by then.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I always freeze the parts and make it later. I have several carcasses in the freezer now. I saw that we are down to eight pints of stock so it will soon be time for another batch.

3. justlearning

justlearning Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Thank you. That is what I figured but wasn't sure.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yep! I have several bags of necks, backs, and feet in our freezer for just that purpose.

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I do this all the time. I also keep a gallon ziplock bag in the freezer to put veggie parts like onion skins and celery bits in. This is my stock pot bag. When it's full and I feel like messing with it, I'll make a pot. Then, you can either can or freeze the stock. I prefer canning since I don't have much freezer space.

6. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Quote:I do this all the time. I also keep a gallon ziplock bag in the freezer to put veggie parts like onion skins and celery bits in. This is my stock pot bag. When it's full and I feel like messing with it, I'll make a pot. Then, you can either can or freeze the stock. I prefer canning since I don't have much freezer space.

What a great idea. I could do that instead of throwing them into the worm beds. I have never made stock before, I think I'll try with our next batch of meaties.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Quote:That is what I do as well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by