Can I freeze...?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Crusty McPottydoodle, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    We are heading out to the cabin (which does have a small propane fridge/freezer) over the christmas break. I want to have as much of the food prepared (not necessarily cooked) as possible as we have to get there by boat and space is limited. Dry ingredients already measured and mixed for various baked goods etc and I want to know if I can freeze my wet ingredients all mixed.

For example, I will be making a pear upsidedown gingerbread cake which is best eaten straight from the oven, so I want to know if I can freeze the combined wet ingredients - buttermilk, margarine, sugar, egg and molasses?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    All of those things seems like they are safe to freeze.

3. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    since you have to take the ingredients anyways .. why not bake the cake and freeze it.. then let it thaw there? then just warm it up in the oven?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  4. Crusty McPottydoodle

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Quote:Frozen ingredients will travel better and when packed with all the other frozen stuff, have a better chance of staying frozen than the cake itself. It will take about 3 hours to get to the island and the last leg (I refer to this as the white-knuckle leg) is a trip in a 20 ft power boat across some scary winter ocean. I am terrified of deep cold ocean and motorboats. Goes back to my commercial fishing days and the time we almost capsized.

On top of that, I don't have time to add another full-on baking task to my very long list. I work full-time, I am carrying a 60% university courseload and I carry most of the domestic load (only until feller is done the PhD). I can find 5 minutes to throw together ingredients and shove them in some tupperware, but to add the extra time and energy to bake and clean pans is more than I can cope with.

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Do let us know how it worked out for you. When we go camping (but it is in the middle of summer) I freeze what I can to help make it last longer. I freeze eggs into portion size for whatever I'm making. Hotdogs, meats, hashbrowns etc. I hope you have fun!
    The only thing I can think of is seperation in some dishes (custard like) but if it tastes the same I wouldn't worry about the looks.

Again, let us know what you did and how it worked out. [​IMG]

6. Crusty McPottydoodle

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Henry'schickens :

Do let us know how it worked out for you. When we go camping (but it is in the middle of summer) I freeze what I can to help make it last longer. I freeze eggs into portion size for whatever I'm making. Hotdogs, meats, hashbrowns etc. I hope you have fun!
    The only thing I can think of is seperation in some dishes (custard like) but if it tastes the same I wouldn't worry about the looks.

Again, let us know what you did and how it worked out. [​IMG]

Turned out fabulously. So great, in fact, that I will mix up a few batches at a time as it is the only recipe I make that uses buttermilk.​

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Great!! it is good to hear success stories. But I am curious if there was any seperation when you froze the wet stuff. If so, I assume it still mixed alright?

8. Crusty McPottydoodle

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Henry'schickens :

Great!! it is good to hear success stories. But I am curious if there was any seperation when you froze the wet stuff. If so, I assume it still mixed alright?

No separation and all mixed up perfectly.​

9. mikenandrea

mikenandrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Douglas, GA
    Would love to see photos of the "enroute to cabin" photos.. Do you have any? WOW a 3 hour boat ride!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by