Can I get a Lavander sexlink?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kitchenchick, Sep 17, 2012.

1. kitchenchick

kitchenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Upper East Tennessee
    I've got a couple of extra lavander orpington roos and a bunch of cuckoo marans hens. Wondering if this cross would produce lav sexlinks. I know the self blue-lavander gene is recessive would it be masked by the barring gene of the hens?
    I had first thought of just crossing a BCM roo with the cuckoo hens, or I have a splash langshan roo with the cuckoo hens to get next springs sexlinks, BUT I got curious about the possibility of lav sexlinks.
    Anyone out there try this crossing? How'd they come out?

2. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    No lav has to have 2 genes to b expressed so u will get streaky or cuckoo marked birds that r split to lav having one gene but will not show it. U could take the best barred offspring back over the lav and approximately 50% of the offspring from that cross will b lav and some will prob look lav barred but they will b both sexes and not sex linked.

3. kitchenchick

kitchenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Upper East Tennessee
    that's what I figured with lav being recessive to even exist. Instead of going with the lav roo I'll stick with the orginial plan of the splash or BCM for springs sexlinks. The lang roo would give F2 size, or the BCM roo would give F2 better egg color. Much better than streaky splits.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by