Can I Get Away with Adding 2 More?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wheels, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Wheels

Wheels Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Milledgeville GA.
    I have 31 pullets and 1 rooster. I want to add 2 roosters. My coop is suppose to hold only 30.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

When you say your coop is supposed to hold only 30, do you mean the entire coop with run, or just the hen house part of the "coop?" Because you could squeak in a couple extra if you have 10 sq ft per chicken in the run... for 33 that would be 330 square feet. Inside the coop, you need 4 square feet per chicken, BUT some have gone down to 3 square feet in the coop "hen house" portion. Have you got at least 330 square feet in the run? That would be width times depth, say 10 by 33 feet, or any combination that works out to 330 square feet.

If you have enough or more than enough space in the run, you CAN "squeak" a couple more in the coop IF it's a mild weather area, and there will never be an extended period of time they are enclosed INSIDE in the coop together (like for months when it snows or a full week when it rains, etc.).

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  3. Wheels

Feb 25, 2010
    Milledgeville GA.
    Quote:Just the coop. I have a 20 x 20 run.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    If these were hens, i would say "Sure! Go ahead!" without hesitation.

But with roosters, just keep in mind that it doesn't necessarily go as easily. My head rooster does not take well to infiltrators in "his" flock. So i would expect it to be pretty rough for those new guys for a while - at least at night when they go in the coop.

With roosters, it's more than just a numbers game. And it also depends on the personalities of your birds, as always.

5. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    4 sq ft/chicken is merely a guideline. I believe, and others have said, that chickens actually do a little better with more room. The more crowded they get, you increase the likelihood of developing stress issues. I would think every flock is unique and you know your flock best. If there are some issues, then I would say no. If everyone is happy, then go ahead. Expect to have some issues as the new fellas learn their place, but then things should settle down. Have a plan if it doesn't.

6. Wheels

Feb 25, 2010
    Milledgeville GA.
    Quote:Thanks everyone.

I am very afaird of them not getting along. I have all barred and white rocks. They play togather well. I don't want anythig to stress them out. The other thing my wife and I talk about, was camp freezer for the roo. We plan to send all of them to camp in Febuary.

We just think that is too many hens for one roo.

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Are you trying to keep them all fertile? If you aren't, there's no reason that i know of to add more roosters.

Are all of your hens and roos going to freezer camp in January? Or just the three roos?

8. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Well if they are going to freezer camp in Feb there is no reason to get more Roos. Unless.

21 Hens go to camp. In the spring hatch some eggs and raise up another 18 hens and 2 more Roos. Or make it 27 hens and 3 Roos and send the extras to Camp. Whatever you decide. You could just keep rotating your hens and roos this way and have a few winter layers and new chicks in the spring to renew your flock.

Coarse this would mean getting an incubator if you don't have one. This is what many people do. But we cull the flock in the fall, and save on winter feed bills. (They will eat more feed in the winter, when there is less grass and bugs. Winter over the Breeders for the spring chicks. Personally, I hatch 3-4 times a year for smaller batches that go off to camp through out the year. Just the way I do it that works for us.

Oh, 4 Sq Ft is a quide line, but it is the law in many areas of the country. Local Ordinances vary greatly from one county to another, from one city to another.

9. Wheels

Feb 25, 2010
    Milledgeville GA.
    Quote:Are you trying to keep them all fertile? If you aren't, there's no reason that i know of to add more roosters.

Are all of your hens and roos going to freezer camp in January? Or just the three roos?

We were planing on keep some fertile. We are thinking if we can hatch eggs would be cheaper than rebuying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by