Can I get my chickens to lay somewhere else?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Katechicken, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Katechicken

Katechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    My chickens have been laying under their coop in secret, and it looks like they have been doing it for a while now. Is there any way I can get them to lay in their nesting boxes???
    Help please!

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you tried putting dummy eggs in the nesting boxes so they know what they're for?

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I also going to guess, since you didn't say, younger pullets?

Yes, golf balls or fake eggs in box. Also, it may sound harsh, but when a new batch of pullets reaches point of lay, I don't release them from their coop until 1 or 2 pm. They need to master the egg laying in the box thing. Until I am confident they've got that lesson down, then and only then, is their "recess time" extended. [​IMG]

4. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Fred's Hens :

I also going to guess, since you didn't say, younger pullets?

Yes, golf balls or fake eggs in box. Also, it may sound harsh, but when a new batch of pullets reaches point of lay, I don't release them from their coop until 1 or 2 pm. They need to master the egg laying in the box thing. Until I am confident they've got that lesson down, then and only then, is their "recess time" extended. [​IMG]

Yep! Had to do this with mine. One of my two buff girls were laying wayyyyy under our deck, which is low to the ground and covers the cistern. No way to retrieve them. Unfortunately, since I didnt' know who was doing it they all had to be shut in until late morning. Still didn't lay in the boxes, but at least they were all in the coop! Baby steps..... [​IMG] and blocking the ways for them to get under the deck.​

5. Katechicken

Katechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    I think putting dummy eggs is a good idea, they are younger birds and have just started laying.
    Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by