1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I get my hen to adopt baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iluvpeeps, Dec 26, 2012.

1. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    I have this tiny hen named Fry and I'm pretty sure she's half Serama and half Silkie. She went broody and I took the eggs away from her but she went broody AGAIN and I let her try to hatch them that time. One of them hatched and is now almost a month old. In april I'm getting three day old chicks and i'm hoping that she will adopt them. I just don't know how i'm going to do it though. I've heard that a hen will adopt baby chicks if she goes broody and is sitting on the eggs and then you give her the chicks? One of the ways I've been thinking about doing it is that when she goes broody again and the chicks arrive, that night, i'll put the chicks underneath her, but i'm not sure if that will work. Also for her to go broody she has to be done with her chick she has now. Her chick she has right now will be grown up by then right? If anybody has any suggestions of what I should, do please post.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    She would have weaned her current chick by April and all you can do is keep you ringers crossed she'll go broody before you get the chicks. Thing is a hen needs to sit on eggs for about 2 weeks or longer before you can swap the eggs for chicks successfully. They seem to have a "biological clock" that tells them when to expect babies and if you do the swap too soon it may not work. I hope she'll play along and go broody when needed!

3. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    I really hope so[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by