can i get sod with chickens

jesterpoop

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 19, 2008
live in nj
my back yard no longer has any grass at all and i was wondering if i could put sod down or would the chickens destroy that and would i be wasting my money its a small back yard and its only a couple of square ft but dont want it to get destroyed

pick the catagory you think your post should go under and after you click on that youll see on the left side were it says to post topic
and thank you for your input

I am going to say it depends on the size of the yard and how many chickens you have free ranging it. The larger the yard the better your grass will grow. The chickens will knock it down and keep it stirred up if large enough. Your best bet would probably be alot of grass seed with straw on top of it if you have a large area.

Seems like a very expensive treat for your chickens! Yes, you can get organic sod for your chickens. No, it won't last more than a week unless you have a huge area.

being a landscaper, I go through about 4 tractor trailer loads a week and have lots of left overs, so keeping the run in grass shouldn`t be a problem for me, just have to replace it every week. Here in Canada we have changed our rules on fertalizer and it has to be organic or else non at all, weeds are now taking over all the yards, so grass is safer from chemicals running off into the water sheds and into the lakes and rivers. check with your local sod farm and see what they use for fertalizer.

Alan

So my question is kinda the opposite ... We have a small area (16' x 16') of 20 year old sod, actually sod moss mix (it is NW Oregon after all), and have decided to convert it to a fruit and vegetable growing area. Can I use my girls to decimate what remains of the sod, roots and all? We have been organic gardening for years so there has been no pesticides, fertilizers or chemicals put on it for at least 6 years ...

Back
Top Bottom