Can I get some experienced eyes to look at these eggs?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyLittleRedCoop, Aug 6, 2013.

1. MyLittleRedCoop

MyLittleRedCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2012
    My Coop
    I bought some fertile eggs (shipped) for my broody to sit on. They have brown shells and I'm just not sure of what I'm seeing... This is my first hatch. [​IMG]
    I took these pictures on day 7 (last night). I have 13 eggs all total. But these are two. My camera wasn't cooperating, so these are the only two I got. I will try again on day 10 for the others, I guess...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sweetappleacres

sweetappleacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    I have brown shells as well from my silkies and I found that candling before 10 days was pretty uneventful. I'm at day 12 now and after last nights candling I had to break one open. it was translucent and had a ring, similar to the 1st pic you have. Yours may not be a ring, but it's hard to tell from that angle. Mine also had a blood spot on it. Yours could be a vein or could be a ring. Keep notes, and check again in a couple of days. If that one clearly looks diff than the others then it's a bad one and you must dispose or it will explode and trust me, after seeing that junk inside of my bad egg last night, you do not want to clean that up. It's very goopy and it could affect the other eggs.

3. MyLittleRedCoop

Jun 21, 2012
    My Coop
    Yeah, I was worried about exploding eggs, so I gave each one a sniff before candling them.
    I didn't find any stinkers, so I guess that was promising. I'm hoping that will get me though the next few days...? Also hoping my broody would kick out a stinky egg? Maybe...?
    Do you think the darker one is a bad one? I couldn't see a spot in any of them.

4. sweetappleacres

Jul 10, 2013
  5. MyLittleRedCoop

Jun 21, 2012
    My Coop
    Haha... Yeah, I had been using that page as a reference. It's a great reference! But I think they are white eggs. Everything looks so clear on them, nothing at all like what I am seeing. Most of what I am seeing are just vague shadows. Sure wish someone would try doing the same as that page, only with BROWN eggs! Because things are a lot less clear with them!

I went down and just did a quick sniff of them all (I really don't want one to explode, that has me completely freaked out!) and still no stinkers. I will candle again tomorrow night (day 10).

I guess I was thinking that possible the shadowy one was more likely to be a live one as opposed to a quitter? I've heard mixed reviews about bought/shipped fertile eggs. I'm worried I would pull one out and open it, only to discover that it was the only one alive.

6. sweetappleacres

Jul 10, 2013
    I completely understand! I made my husband crack the bad one open JUST IN CASE is was a viable chick and I murdered it... I couldn't look if that was the case (PTSD lol). Maybe on my next hatch I'll do the pics of brown eggs. There's not a whole lot of references for us brown egg folks. My bad egg wasn't stinky.. yet. But I knew it was a bad one, it was the only one that I could see completely through w nothing going on. What kind of chickens do you have? I've got silkies

7. MyLittleRedCoop

Jun 21, 2012
    My Coop
    I love the silkies! Do you have all white or some of the other colors? They are so cute! I had wanted to get a couple to add to my flock, but a Mn breeder I contacted said they wouldn't do well with all the big breeds I have. I was disappointed, but grateful for the heads-up. I wouldn't want to put any animal into a losing situation.

Right now we have 3 Australorps that are over a year old. (One is my broody-butt, sitting on the nest). But no Roos old enough to give us fertile eggs. (Not for lack of trying, on the roo's part. Lol. Poor guys keep getting emphatically rebuffed every time they go near them)

I ordered a "mixed brown layer" dozen from my pet chicken when little miss Broody just wouldn't give up. Pretty cool, they come labelled so I know what to expect breed wise. They all have "stuff" in them (they all look two-toned), but different percentages of dark or reddish vs light or clear. I'm thinking if there are any that look mostly clear or only have a little red area I'll crack one of those open to look. Seems like by 10 days they should show more, based on the pictures...? I was thinking I'd be able to see the eye dot by day 7, too, which I haven't seen at all...

We also have 3 Araucanas, a buff orp, a buff brahmas, a black copper Marans, a Dominique, another Australorp, and 2 delawares all about to lay within another couple weeks. And then the Roos are from that batch, too.

Sounds like your's about 4 days further along than ours. Are they all silkies that are hatching? Are you using an incubator or broody?
    Would love to see pictures of yours if you can get any! At least I'd have something to compare it to that isn't white!

8. sweetappleacres

Jul 10, 2013
    Sure, I'll take pics tonight and post them. I have 2 white hens that are the ones that are broody. 1 rooster who is a blue cream, and 1 buff adult hen; then I have four 5 mo olds that are buff, partridge, blue cream & blue silkie/cochin mix. Idk what they are m or f, but I think they're all hens- they're showing a lot of interest in what's going on with the broodies. The broodies are setting on 13 eggs, and I've got 10 in the incubator and those are due next thur!It's my first hatch both w incubator & broodies & I'm eager to see what I get. Still don't know what I'm going to do w so many chicks assuming they all hatch... They'll all be the same since the 2 whites were the only ones laying and who had bred w the blue cream roo. I have pics of them on my profile. But I'm sure I'll be selling them soon. I'm in the process of getting some lavenders & porcelain. I also have goats I'll be placing in my breeding program this coming winter. :) #lovingfarmlife

9. MyLittleRedCoop

Jun 21, 2012
    My Coop
    That is a lot of eggs! So many colors... They sound lovely! And adorable, with all that fluff!

That would be fantastic if you can get pictures. I'd love to see them. Tonight is the big night, here. Day 10. I'm hoping that I'll see some "good news" and that my camera will work. So hard to get the camera to focus in the dark... If you have the flash on, you can't see the egg lit up. And if you turn the flash off, the shutter stays open for longer and even the tiniest bit of movement will blur it. My phone takes better pictures than my camera. But it's capricious. One time it will focus in nicely. The next it will focus and then go blurry before taking the picture.

Goats look like they'd be a lot of fun to have around. Do you milk them? I'll bet they are great for keeping the grass and weeds down. I've thought about getting more animals, like maybe a couple goats or a cow or two, but my DH wants to finish up other projects before getting something new. Sigh... I think he'd find we have more time for new stuff if we had goats to keep the weed growth down, especially around our fruit trees and berry plants, so he didn't have to mow! [​IMG]

Are they expensive to keep? (The goats)

10. sweetappleacres

Jul 10, 2013
    Goats are so much fun! I bought a nanny who was bred and due really soon about a month ago and she birthed twins 2 weeks ago. A boy (Channing) and a girl (Tatum). As for pics I got nothing! It's getting crowded in there so. not much light can pass and there's very little movement if any :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by