1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I get some feed back on this for an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by knynrstylvr222, May 5, 2008.

1. knynrstylvr222

knynrstylvr222 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Hi all,
    Im a new member today, and until a couple hours ago didnt have an incubator, but im on day 20. I have a pic of the incubator I threw together. I could hear peeping last night and the egg was wobbling do ya'll think this will work it has 2 paper cups of H2O and a moist wash cloth to try and get the humidity up. If it will work how long do you think it will take Pebble (the egg) to hatch.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  2. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    Just curious how you got to day 20? what were you using?

3. knynrstylvr222

May 5, 2008
    I had Pebble in a nest with cotton, and kept the heat lamp on with the thermometer to watch the temperature. Im in college and my dorm is really small so it wasnt too hard to keep the temp really consistent. (Not that I would hatch a chicken in my dorm room LOL because that isnt allowed)

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I hope it pips and hatches...just don't give up for a few days it may not hatch right on time since its not in a real incubator...sometimes if the temps are low it can take to day 25...Don't open or touch anything....my thoughts...

5. newbiecaroline

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    wow that's hilarious Kny! sounds like pebble is doing great already...just needed a little moisture in the air...I know we have been warned not to move them because in nature the hen would be sitting real still right now.
    Hope you get good advice as you see by my name I'm new to this! Good Luck Kny!

6. knynrstylvr222

May 5, 2008
    Thanks newbie, Im hoping it works too have you had any successful hatches yet?

7. newbiecaroline

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    Nope I am on my first hatch...had an unintentional try at it a few months ago...was not prepared at all for what's involved. So that was disastrous lol. I tried to save some eggs from hens that ate hatched chicks...long story lol.
    Now I am trying a borrowed very old incubator and an electric frypan...so 2 going. Due 15th and 22nd this month.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=47055&p=11
    Hope this works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by