1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Can I get some more opinions on my day old Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by (sub)UrbanCoop, Jan 4, 2013.

1. (sub)UrbanCoop

(sub)UrbanCoop Chirping

Jan 8, 2012
    City of Five Flags
    These birds are just about 24 hours old. I've looked at a link that discusses sexing Dominique chicks, but when I look at the shanks I sometimes get confused because while they are mostly dark, there is one really light toe!

Any input is appreciated.

Batch 1 heads and shanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Batch 2 heads and shanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On batch 2, chickie on the right, it has a concentrated spot, but light legs???

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chirping

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    What do their wings look like? I have read if the tips of their wings are even then the are male. If there looks like there are two rows of feathers then it is a female.

3. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that last chick on the bottom left looks more like a blk aussie not anything barred

4. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    its hard to really tell i want to say all the ones with head spots are cockerels.................time will tell for sure hopefully its one cockerel and 3 pullets

5. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chirping

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
  6. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
  7. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chirping

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop

8. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    there are at least 2 different types of sex links that i know of the ones you can tell at hatch by their coloring and the ones that can be told by wing sexing, these are 2 compleatly different types of sex linking,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/is-my-chicken-a-pullet-hen-or-a-cockerel-cock

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  9. (sub)UrbanCoop

(sub)UrbanCoop Chirping

Jan 8, 2012
    City of Five Flags
    I know how to feather sex, but I have heard you can not do that with Barred Rocks. Anyone know for sure?

10. (sub)UrbanCoop

(sub)UrbanCoop Chirping

Jan 8, 2012
    City of Five Flags
    Is that because of the stripes on the eyes? I got the eggs from a chicken farm that has both Barred and Aussie... wonder if someone had a hot date with the mailman. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by