can i give 19 week old rhode island reds layer mash yet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blueseal, Nov 12, 2010.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    should i keep them on grower until first egg.

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I usually start sooner around 17-18 weeks.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I would start feeding them layer feed. But I know alot suggest not to until they start laying. I've always had a mixed group so I'd stop buying 2 seperate feed as soon as I could!!

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    At that age you should be fine either way. I have a mixed age/species flock so I feed mine gamebird from chick to old biddie and just keep oystershell out freechoice so the ones that are laying can meet their calcium needs.

5. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Quote:Ditto.

6. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have 3 and they have been in with the older flock for 2 weeks now. im sure they have eaten from there feeders of layer mash. i have a little grower mash left didnt want to buy another bag so hope they will be all right on layer from now on.

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    They are fine on layer now. A lot of the bags say to start feeding at 18 weeks. I started blending left over starter and layer a little earlier in order to use up some of the starter.

8. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    This is a good time to start layer, if you want to. I use chick starter and add oyster shell free choice and that works really well, too.

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:To be on the safe side--yes! If you have grower left when they start laying just mix the two together until the grower is gone.

10. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    My Barred Rock's are 19 weeks, so I purchased a 50 bag of layer feed and have mixed it in with the grower so they transition across to only layer feed once the grower is gone. Also purchased cracked corn and BOSS to mix in to give extra protein for the winter months! Plus they get fresh greens and veggies each day....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by