Can I give a sick hen Ivomec? Extremely lethargic for 7days straight...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katiedarling, Sep 16, 2016.

1. katiedarling

katiedarling Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2015
    GA
    This is now an EMERGENCY: I separated her last friday because one eye was swollen & she was hunched up. Vet examined eye Monday and diagnosed respiratory, gave baytril + drops for eye. She's done 5 days on baytril & no improvement. She's been refusing water so I have been tubing it for her. She will pick at eggs, watermelon, etc. I just discovered the mites after checking for them again using a 4x magnifying lens. She's so extremely lethargic that I'm not sure if I should give her ivomec now or not? I just dusted ber heavily with poultry dust but am worried that I caught them too late. I have treated with ivomec in past but never on a bird who's so sick. In hindsight the respiratory issue was obviousy seconday. I kinda feel like poo for not catching it sooner.
    Has anyone here had experience with treating for mites with a very sick bird? Does the benefit outweigh the risk?

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Did the poultry dust work?

Did the vet test for internal parasites, too? Did the vet do a test at all to determine what KIND of respiratory illness your hen has?

I'm sorry for your troubles.

At this point, I might just give it to her to see if it helps, since the Baytril doesn't appear to be helping her.

Did your vet advise that using Baytril on a food-producing animal renders it "useless" for that purpose? If she's a pet, I suppose it doesn't matter, but they say you shouldn't eat the eggs ever after giving a hen Baytril. Your mileage may vary.

MrsB

3. katiedarling

Mar 20, 2015
    GA
    The dust seemd to kill most of them but for a few stragglers. my worry about the leftover ones is that she appears to be anemic from them. It explains why she's hell bent on only eating scrambled eggs. She clearly needs her iron stores replenished. Vet was unable to get her still enough to test anything as she is a complete spazz. I didnt want to stress her further. I just dont want to dose her with an antiparasitic drug sincerely it's technically poison. My instinct is telling me to give it, but I'm scared it maY put her over the edge. She has essentially slept for most of these 7 days. Her color comes back when she's active(only when she's trying to escape my clutches) but you can litterally watch it drain from her face when she hunches up agIn.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  4. katiedarling

Mar 20, 2015
    GA
    @casportpony any thoughts? I have fo say your posts on tube feeding may be what has kept her thus far. I was so scared to attempt it(first timer) but when it became Do or Die, I mustered up enough courage only because your posts were so incredibly thorough. I'm sure it's why she's been willing to pick at the sggs, now I just need to keep ber hydrated, right?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  5. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Spinach is also high in iron. See if she'll peck at some raw.

I'd keep dusting her and giving her high-protein, high-iron foods. Definitely keep her hydrated, and consider adding a vitamin supplement to her water.

I personally prefer Valbazen, but that's just me. :)

I understand about not wanting to stress your mama. You are very kind.

MrsB

6. katiedarling

Mar 20, 2015
    GA
    Haha! Funny you should mention spinach. She wouldnt eat it raw, so I ried to trick her by adding some spinach/quinoa baby food to her eggs last night. She refused. ;)
    Did I mention she is extremely stubborn? I have been giving electrolytes and I am about to swittch to poultry nutri-drench because I noticed ingredients have iron sulfate listed. I'm conidering giving her a few drops straight. Just don't want to give the poor thing diharreah, too. Waiting for vet to call back about ivomec but at 5 on a friday, we'll see. Thank you btw, for responding to this post so quickly. When I reLized I had to act fast, byc forums are where I head to for answers first.

7. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Stubborn chickens make the world go 'round!

I'm interested in what your vet says.

MrsB

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I'm not sure how safe ivermectin is with really sick ones, so not sure I'd use it. Safeguard, yes, i'll use that, but ivermectin? If you use a permethrin dust, that should get all the critters, but some mites have shown resistance to carbaryl, so double check your label.

Can you get any Rooster Booster Poultry Cell? That might be a good thing to try.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  9. katiedarling

Mar 20, 2015
    GA

Ha! Yep. Stubborn as the day is long. At one point I was Bout to pull my hair out. I just remember yelling "please for the love of God will you drink the frikkin water?!". I was begging. Vet ok'd the ivomec. Baytril withdrawal for eggs she told me 7 days. I usually wait at least 10.

. hmmm. Good to know on that carbaryl- I think the spray I have contains that. I have Rooster Booster powder. It's Vitamins & Electrolytes with Lacto Bacillus. Is that the right one or is the Poultry Cell different?

I think that the dust I used is permethrin(?) It's the garden & poultry dust in the blue & white can. Y-tex brand, I think. When I dusted her, I could see them all trying to escape- I wish I'd have bought the magnifier lenses sooner. They have a headlamp attached so I could see them up close. Shocking. I have tickets for Six Flags tomorrow & was going to chill out with my husband for once, but now I'll be dusting All the chickens in the flock and cleaning & doing damage control in the coop when I get back, instead. I just hope I caught it in time. I'm sure the others will be fine, but Miss Moneypenny here is in bad shape. Praying for a miracle.

10. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I, too, have yelled at a few chickens in my day!! "Oh, for heaven's sake, come ON!!!!" Hahaha! No shame. :)

How is she?

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by