Can I give chick starter feed to abandoned bird?

Vickyw222

In the Brooder
May 6, 2021
A bird built a nest and layed a couple of eggs in a hanging basket near my front door. I'm assuming there wasn't much traffic at that door for a few days when she chose her spot. That changed. We're in and out a lot. She stayed for a few days but then disappeared.
After about 2 days (a week ago), I was sure she was gone. I have a small crappy incubator but it's better than leaving them to die. To top it off, one of them is sticking to the egg from her not being there to turn it. But the other, I could actually see the heart beat when I candled it. I can still see it move but I can't see it's heart beating anymore. I assume that it was beating so hard as a stress response, recovering from the night(s) alone (it got down to around 65).
I just want to hatch them and set them free as soon as they're ready. Coincidentally, I have some day old baby chickens coming shortly that I'm adding to my small flock.
So,
Can I keep them together until they're ready to leave on their own?

Can they eat the same food?

Do and if they need it soft, can I just wet the chick starter or maybe cat food?

Last edited:
We always fed this kind of birds with boiled egg, we only raised about three, but they grew up nicely. Their parents feed them insects, worms and such.
As for keeping them with the chicks, no. They are a very different type of bird, staying in the nest until flying out, and having no feathers at hatch, so the chicks would be a potential danger. If you can have a container chicks can't enter then they can be in the same place I think, but let them together would be a problem. Also these birds will not eat on their own, you will have to feed them several times a day, for weeks.

We always fed this kind of birds with boiled egg, we only raised about three, but they grew up nicely. Their parents feed them insects, worms and such.
As for keeping them with the chicks, no. They are a very different type of bird, staying in the nest until flying out, and having no feathers at hatch, so the chicks would be a potential danger. If you can have a container chicks can't enter then they can be in the same place I think, but let them together would be a problem. Also these birds will not eat on their own, you will have to feed them several times a day, for weeks.
Thank you. Good thing I have several (4) children for the several feedings.
I was hoping I could keep them together at first in case only one survives, to stay warm.

Thank you. Good thing I have several (4) children for the several feedings.
I was hoping I could keep them together at first in case only one survives, to stay warm.
You can keep them close to the heat lamp if you use one, but make sure they won't get in contact, like with a barrier or something, but watching them they are alone all day as parents are busy with feeding, and only being warmed in the night.
Other thing, it can be illegal for you to keep them, I don't know the laws where you live, so your best option can be to get in contact with wildlife rehabilitators. Also they will do all the hard work for you that way.

You can keep them close to the heat lamp if you use one, but make sure they won't get in contact, like with a barrier or something, but watching them they are alone all day as parents are busy with feeding, and only being warmed in the night.
Other thing, it can be illegal for you to keep them, I don't know the laws where you live, so your best option can be to get in contact with wildlife rehabilitators. Also they will do all the hard work for you that way.
I'm not keeping them. Just keeping them warm and fed until they can feed themselves.

Back
Top Bottom