Can I give Ivermectin 1% topically for scaly leg mites in Silkies?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pixie546, Oct 28, 2011.

1. pixie546

pixie546 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Leonardtown, MD
    Evening, all!! I've done extensive reading on scaly leg mites here, and have done a few of the different treatments. My buff silkies don't seem to be shaking it though, with all the scrubbing, mineral oil dips, and Bag Balm slathering I've been doing. The darker ones look fine (!) but I'm going to treat everyone all the same.

So--- We wormed with the piperazine a couple of weeks ago to prep everyone for the Ivermectin. There was so much good information!!! So my sister bought a thing of it at the feed store and we are planning to apply topically, so I reread some of the information. BUT-- of course, I hadn't realized the importance of the different solutions.[​IMG] We ended up with the 1% injectible Ivermectin instead of the 5% pour-on.

The big question here is, can I still apply this topically?? I'm a suburbs girl recently enamored of country life, just built my first totally awesome coop (Thanks BYC, pics coming soon!!) and I'm not sure about giving a chicken medicine through the beak. What I've been reading is mostly info on how to apply the 1% and 5%, not if the 1% can be used in a topical setting. I just want my little flock to be healthy. If I have to give orally, I guess I can do it! [​IMG]

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!

2. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I have used it orally and I have injected it. I never have used it topically because my vet said it wouldn't work. Maybe you can return it and get the other?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I wouldnt use ivermectin period. For scaley leg mites, try using Nu-Stock, it's all natural and will get the mites. Slather their legs with it, it comes in a plastic tube (shake well.) Your feed store should carry it.

4. pixie546

Dec 16, 2010
    Leonardtown, MD
    Well, I can't return it becasue we have already opened it and split the bottle between us. So, I will suck it up and get a dropper and give it orally in the beak. I think I will do all the roosters and try the Nu-Stock on the hens? I've been battling these mites for a while and the feet are so feathered I'm not able to get them all with topical balms. I've dipped in mineral oil too- maybe I'll just get on it and get out there every 4 days and re-dip. I've just been putting it off cause I've been working a lot and stuff!! Thanks!!!!

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I put drops of the Ivermec (measured w/dropper) on porous bits of bread and fed it to a rooster I was treating.

6. pixie546

Dec 16, 2010
    Leonardtown, MD
    I am getting ready to give the Ivermectin. However, I am confused as to the dose. Lots of info says anywhere from 1-4 drops orally. Some posts say to dilute 1cc/gal water. Which is correct? I am planning on giving it in the water for 24 hours and toss the eggs for 2 weeks. Thanks!

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I was treating a bantam, so I used .5cc. I would think with a LF it'd be 1 cc???? Of course I didn't mix with water. [​IMG] I was using the paste.

8. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:Half of that.... Bantams take .25cc and large fowl take .5cc

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    The treatment of the birds leg's aside and the debate about what is best and how to administer them. The big question is what treatment if any have you done to their habitat, Coops/runs, range, nest's & roost. if the answer is nothing then perhaps you might want to do that first or you may never rid them of it and will be appying med's for years to come. First things first let's not put the cart before the horse.

10. pixie546

Dec 16, 2010
    Leonardtown, MD
    This morning I put 4cc of Ivermectin 1% in a gallon of water. It's the only water I will offer for 2days, then I will repeat in 14 days cause I'm dealing with scaly leg mites. The bedding, coop, and roosts are all new because I've moved and built a brand new coop. These mites have been persistant in my silkie rooster especially. Only 2 of the hens are laying now so I won't miss out on too many eggs. I have a hectic work schedule and daily dipping of the leg just doesn't work for me. I will dip periodically to keep them mite free, but it is just not working to eliminate this pesky mite. I have DE in the dust bath areas, I have dusted the coop, and once the mites are gone I should be able to prevent a recurrence. I know a lot of you don't like chemicals, but this is the best way right now!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by