Can I give my broody hen a week old chick?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Free Range Chick, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Free Range Chick

Free Range Chick New Egg

Jun 14, 2009
    My 8 month old Silver Wyandotte has been in her nest since Feb 16th and since we do not have a rooster I thought to give her two chicks that are 1 to 2 weeks old. I can separate them from the rest of the flock easily. I do push the broody hen out of the nest to eat and drink once a day and then she makes a mad dash for her nest. Anyone out there have luck with this idea?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I tried introducing chicks that were a few weeks old to a broody hen and she did not accept them, but I think I have read about others who introduced week old chicks with success.

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I did exactly that, and the results were wonderful. I kept waiting for my OEG to break broody and give up, but she wouldn't. She was loosing mad weight, and starting to look pretty rough. She had been on the nest for three months, and I finally gave in and bought some feed store chicks...they were a week or two old when I got them. She accepted them, and was a fierce wonderful mother. She raised them right up till point of lay, and kept right on mothering them as if they were just hatched.

I think it really depends on your broody. Just remember, you may have to be prepared to raise the little ones yourself.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  4. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    It never hurts to try. Just keep a good eye on them.

5. Free Range Chick

Free Range Chick New Egg

Jun 14, 2009
    Thanks to everyone who has responded. I appreciate the encouragement. I do love BYC! I am going to give her two 1 week old chicks tomorrow and I will report back. I hope it works because she is waiting ever so patiently for her babies to appear. [​IMG]

6. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    good luck! [​IMG] Many people will tell you to stick them under her at night, but I am more comfortable doing it when I am around to supervise...I hope she's a great mommy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by