can i give my broody the chick during the day?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by txmel, Jul 17, 2011.

1. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    well thats pretty much my question can i put my one chick that hatched under the broody during the daytime or does it have to be at night? how can i check on them if its at night and im asleep and its dark and, and, and ...
    this was a bad hatch. out of the 10 eggs shipped to me only 4 made it to lockdown and of those 4 only 1 hatched ok. 2 hatched and died they had crossed breaks and no eyes and the 3rd didnt hatch, died in the shell. my broody is a serama and this is her first time broody and since she is so tiny i could only fit 3 eggs under her of which none developed.
    so how do i tell if she accepts the chick?

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Is she still broody? I have had success in giving chicks to a broody at night but the daytime has been iffy, it really depends on the bird. I have actually made the girls go to bed early in order to give the broody the chicks. We use lighting in the coop so it is easy for us to make the birds think it is night night time early [​IMG]

3. txmel

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    Quote:i believe she is still broody. i went ahead and took the chick out to her she just kinda looked at it didnt peck at it or anything so i tucked it under her wing so far so good havent seen her do anything to the chick. but how will i know if she accepts it and will mommy it? she kinda growls at me when i look in on them, like she did when she was on the eggs but she is still sitting in the nest like she did on the eggs so what if she doesnt teach it were to eat and drink and make sure its warm at night. during the day isnt a problem right now since its well into the upper 90's all day but at night it dips into the 70's and i dont want the chick to get cold and die.

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We introduced a Mille Fleur to our Serama hen and kept them seperate from the rest of the flock with their own water and food. Are you able to do this? If the hen is keeping the baby under her wing, she should be fine, at least I would think so. (She is not my bird and you would know her better than me.) Our girls will growl too even at other birds in the coop until the chick can take care of itself. Do you have food and water near by that both momma and chick can access easily?

5. txmel

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    Quote:i have them seperated into their own little coop with food and water. every time i check on them they are still in the nest box i have seen the chick out in the coop right after i put it in with the broody but the hen didnt follow it she just stayed in the nest box. so i put it back into the nest box with the hen and thats were its been since.

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In my experience, chicks like to be under the momma unless they need to eat or drink. Momma will show them where the food and water source is, she may even drop a little crumble for the chick. I would dip the beak of the chick in the waterer if you are concerned. It sounds to me like momma is doing her job and it will take some time before the baby can be safely integrated into the coop. Just leave them how they are right now but monitor them until you feel comfortable that momma is able to take care of the baby properly. (Meant to say that this is a beginning stage for the chick)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  7. txmel

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    Quote:ok, thank you so much for your replies! i feel better knowing all seems normal [​IMG]

8. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    No problem at all, I hope your hen makes a good momma and you have a nice healthy baby!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by