can i give my chick a bath?

Loretta212

Songster
8 Years
Sep 27, 2011
Meriden ct
i have a little silkie chick and now thats its feathers are coming in and getting fluffy the chick is a mess! can i put it in some shallow water and wash its fuzzie feet?

If your chick is under 5 or 6 weeks you want to be careful about getting the rest of the feathers wet which could make your chick cold. you could use some really warm and shallow water and then dry well after. I have heard that some chickens really like the warmth of the blow dryer. Just don't expose the chick to any drafts or cool air until complete dry. If the chick is young, then you better make sure you put it under the heat lamp after.

Keeping the chick warm, comfortable and draft free until it is completely dry is the SUPER important here....I don't think I would bathe my silkies until they were about 12 weeks old personally..........
I am a dog groomer, so when I do bathe any of my chickens, they come inside to a climate controlled grooming area and usually spend overnight inside so they are 100% dry before going back out into their houses. Most people don't have that luxury, but can still keep them inside a utility room indie a cage until they are good and dry.....Just have some food, water and nice bedding and they will learn to love their "spa time" too!!

Back
Top Bottom