1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I give my chickens some Activia yogurt?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Oct 14, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have some that's about to expire and I'm tired of it.
    I started to, but then I thought about it having Bifidus Regularis; whatever that is. I suspect it's a made up phrase.

Anyhow, can the chickens have it? I'm not sure how you could tell a chicken needs help with their regularity, but anyhow [​IMG]

2. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    The yogurt is very good for them! When I have waterfowl chicks that just don't seem to be getting a good start I give them yogurt and they snap right out of it.

3. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    I have given my chickens Activa and nothing has happened. I know they didn't have a problem with regularity. LOL [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I give my chickens plain yogurt all the time, just have never given them this activia yogurt before.
    By the way, they weren't too crazy about it. Think they would have preferred the plain stuff.

5. rstampa

rstampa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Has a lot of sugar.

6. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Bifidus Regularis is a meaningless advertising term. Dannon can't copyright the scientific names of active yogurt cultures so they made up something catchy. I'd be more concerned about added sugars

7. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Quote:LOL . . . yup, never known my chickens to have a problem with regularity either!

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It does come in plain unsweetened. I'm guessing it is fine as a probiotic, as any other plain live culture yogurt is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by