Can I give my week old birds a treat? Boiled egg?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by matt1898, Jan 27, 2013.

1. matt1898

matt1898 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    I know this question has been asked a bunch, lol, but I'm excited and don't want to screw anything up.

My first attempt at raising these chickens is going quite well. The 15 are all growing nicely (however, one of the wyandottes is smaller than the rest, but he she is healthy and eating properly). They are now a week old.

I started off the first few days with Dumor chick starter, then switched to a medicated variety from Manna Pro. The birds will eventually end up in what is the cow pasture/garden and I know it won't really be the cleanest environment(hence Coccidosis concerns).
    One of the austrolorps developed a little bit of pasty butt, but I cleaned it off her quick and she is fine...also added a probiotic to their water for that past several days.

Is it ok if I feed them an egg or another treat tonight?

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I started giving my chicks treats when they were a couple weeks old. Scrambled eggs, corn, etc WHen they were really young, they seemed to think that their feed made into a mash with a little warm water was heaven!

3. matt1898

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    Well, I went ahead and gave them about half of a boiled egg(with yolk). They went absolutely nuts! They had already eaten and most were starting to nap, but when I started giving them the egg....it turned into a little show. I also found, if I mushed the yolk up between two fingers I could hand feed it to them, and they very quickly were becoming lest "spooked" about my hand just appearing into the brooder. It seems to me a great way to train them to not fear my hand or voice, and to associate it with food.

1 person likes this.
  4. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    my chicks really enjoyed the boiled egg also, I was there best momma.....lol. I just try go have some form of sand.....kind of grit to offer them since the egg is such a soft food. It just helps them digest the yolk better in their crop. However half a boiled egg to that many chicks wouldn't be a problem. I also cook rice and would save a tablespoon full for them maybe once a week until they are older. If I have a teaspoon of sour cream I will mix that in with the rice...it is good for them.

5. matt1898

Jan 24, 2013
    Broadway, NC
    Sweet. I'm gonna stay up reading on here a bit, and see what other snacks folks use. This has been a very informative forum so far.

6. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Oh and a little yogurt mixed into any of the treats mentioned above is good for their digestion....and talk about funny to watch!! Although chicks, brooder, and you may need a bath after they are done flicking this about!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by