1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I give new chicks to a hen that already has 2 day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chiko, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    I have a Bantam hen with 3 new chicks. And I'm thinking about giving her 7 more. Will she accept them?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I have done this a few times with my bantams but only adding a few more. Id be a tad nervous with adding 7 more:( Thats just me though. If you put them in with her at night. stand guard for a while and make sure she takes all of them. BY morning they should be ok. I gave a broody momma who hatched out 1 chick on her own-put 17 babies under her I had just shipped in and she raised them all like a pro! She was a GLW big fat girl [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I had a black austrailorp who hatched four chicks. I gave her five more that I had hatched in an incubator, they were three or four days old at the time. After a few nervous seconds of her staring them down, she raised up a little and they all wiggled under her. No problems at all.

-S

4. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Great:) Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by